Thursday, October 22, 2009

Old Work, New Me

I am working on a story for my senior seminar class right now, and for this I'm trying to use a story from a writing workshop class I took a year ago. This particular story was written in September '08, and re-reading it/re-writing it now is giving me an acute appreciation for just how far I have come in that one year. My ability to self-edit is also greatly improved.

The art of writing is the art of re-writing, goes the old axiom of the field. And I must say that in the act of re-writing this I am able to observe within myself a certain ability to acknowledge the weaknesses of my writing without feeling diminished by them. It's quite nice.

I'm not sure how this story will come out, if I'll want to keep it or not, but I'm giving it a chance, at least for now. We'll see how this goes. If it fails, then I have a list of story ideas to explore.

On a related note, I have decided that this journal will be for my writing-related thoughts and life. My professional blog, if you will. My personal life shall continue to be chronicled elsewhere.

I also bought a new reference book yesterday. It's about the history of werewolves and shapeshifters throughout human history. I'd seen it before but always passed it by as too drab or cursory to be worth my time, but when I started leafing through it I was pleasantly surprised. Once I'm done with school perhaps I'll read it.

Oh, and today I bought a book about how to write short stories. It seems to be a theory-based book, almost a textbook. Very interesting. At the very least worth the $1 I spent on it. Gotta love used book sales on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment